Thursday, August 12, 2010

Born to perform!

Elizabeth Harvath speaks comfortably about her young career on the stage.
Elizabeth Harvath, TGT winner
“I enjoy theater because I love telling stories, it’s just really fun,” said Harvath.
The 10-year old Tampa’s Got Talent winner from Safety Harbor seems born to be on stage. She takes 12 hours of dance a week, and voice and acting lessons. Last spring, she earned the lead role as Annie in her school production of Annie, Jr.
When she took a dance camp this summer at the Patel Conservatory, she was hooked. “After that, I had to go to another dance class.”
She signed up for Tampa’s Got Talent because she thought it’d be a good opportunity to try and get a scholarship, but didn’t expect to be a winner.
“I just thought I’d get up there and have some fun. I love auditions, I love the adrenalin rush,” said Harvath. “I was very surprised.”
Harvath performed My New Philosophy from You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Her performance won over the judges, and she received the scholarship prize of musical theater classes for the upcoming year.
“I saw Cinderella, and I was very impressed,” she said. “I’m excited to be part of PCYT.”

As part of her participation with Patel Conservatory Youth Theater, Jr., Elizabeth will be able to be in next spring's performance of Alice in Wonderland, Jr.
For Harvath’s mom, Meredith, driving from Safety Harbor is no big deal. She is accustomed to working around her daughter’s busy performance schedule.
This year, Elizabeth will homeschool in order to “make the curriculum fit around her life,” said Meredith.
The mom and daughter theater lovers have been to many shows at the Straz Center.
“We’ve gone to the Wednesday night talk-backs, and it’s just lit a fire in her that’s unbelievable,” said Meredith.
Elizabeth is always eager with questions for the performers, wanting to know how they got where they are. Recurring advice from the professionals is to practice auditioning.
Elizabeth is up for the challenge. And Meredith is willing to help her daughter along that journey. She adds, “if you don’t try, you can’t get there.”
Fall classes in music, theater and dance start soon for anyone from the beginners to avid performers. Do you have that fire inside of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment