Monday, June 7, 2010

Spotlight on Valda Robinson

Today's spotlight is on Valda Robinson, an 81-year-old tap dance student from the University area.
Valda is loving living her life to the fullest in her senior years. Here, she shares her experience with the Patel Conservatory, in her own words...


"At age 77, having retired after devoting a lifetime to making a living, I was proceeding to spend my last decades making a life. I had always loved the humanities, and I was taking classes in painting, writing and acting in small plays. I wanted my final years to be a masterpiece in living. Anyone can be a work of art at 16, but it’s harder at 81.


I saw a Patel Conservatory ad, “tap classes for adults.” I took a deep breath and told myself, “That’s what I’m missing.” I was not one of those who had early years in tap training. The closest experience I ever had in tap was when I saw the movie with Shirley Temple tapping with Bill Robinson. (I was about 5.) I thought, I can do that.” Some 70 years later, I marched in to the Patel Conservatory, thinking, “I can do that.”
My teacher was kind, gentle, encouraging, never commenting on my white hair or how I stumbled when I tried to do spin turns with the younger students. A second tap class opened, and I enrolled. A third tap class opened, and I enrolled. At 81, I now have three highlighted days in my week. I tap like crazy (and probably sometimes look crazy), and feel inside as young as I did when I watched Shirley Temple.
Performance is not my goal. My goal is for an hour and 15 minutes putting my whole self into moving. While dancing, there is no past, no future, only the present with a perfect sense of being.
I applaud Patel Conservatory for bringing young poeple into the arts, while also recognizing the essence of the performing arts for all generations. Thank you for helping me, at this age, feel as if I myself am becoming a work of art, a true masterpiece."

- Valda Robinson

Why put off living? Check out our adult classes in dance, music and theater to find the special something that will be the highlight of your week, at any age.

2 comments:

  1. I have taken tap with Valda and can honestly say she is an inspiration. A fun loving person and full of energy and enthusiasim. She is a very good dancer also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took classes from Dr. Robinson 20+ years ago. Memorable...Timeless. Pray she is healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete