Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Theater guest blog: getting through auditions

Guest blog following our Patel Conservatory Summer Theater Jr. production
by Aliya Burshan, cast member of PCYT's Seussical the Musical, Jr.

Hello, my name is Aliya and I am 13-years-old. My whole life I knew someday I would be a performer. I’ve been coming to the Patel Conservatory since I was nine years old, and in those few years the staff has made me a part of their family.
The first time I did a show at the Patel Conservatory was in 2008 in PCYT’s summer production of Grease! The first day of camp, I was really nervous and did not know what to expect. But right when we started that first number, I knew with the staff, interns and the rest of the cast that it was going to be an amazing experience. If you need help singing or dancing, they will point it out right away. But don’t let that get you down or think it is personal, they just want everything to connect and go smoothly! THEY WILL NOT LET YOU FAIL!!!!!!! 
Before you get to join the musical and cast, you have to go through auditions!  What you mainly do in auditions is prepare a song to sing and a short monologue. You need to perform before the director, vocal instructor, and/or choreographer. Once that is done, you just have to wait till the start of the camp to see what part you have landed.


One thing I have learned when doing auditions is this: even if you look the part, act the part, sing the part, memorize the character’s lines and songs, and everyone in the cast thinks you were wonderful, does not mean you will land it. Trust me, it has happened to me two times already! So one piece of advice…don’t get your hopes up! You may not get the part that you had been dreaming of, but you’ll see that all of the parts are important.  
My experience at the Patel Conservatory has been a blast! You meet new people every time and most likely some of them will become your BFF’s. I hope you have the privilege to experience this once in a lifetime chance. See you soon, and be sure to check back to see my next blog about Who’s Who? in our summer production of Seussical Jr.!

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Aliya! The cast is doing such a great job! The show is gonna be great! - Ms. Audrey :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In watching rehearsal yesterday, I'm amazed how far they've come in just a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aliya,
    You have everything that we hope to instill. I am so proud of you! You are a leader, a standout, and a real pleasure to work with. I am so impressed with your inspired advice.
    Best,
    Ms. Emilia, Director

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first year that my daughter has participated at Patel and she loves it. I am so impressed, she has been met with a very professional staff and a wonderful group of young talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 3 yo daughter who has attended the Patel Conservatory since last Fall. I am so pleased with the staff and the classes. I am excited for my daughter to have fun, make friends and perform in whatever capacity she can! We have tickets to Seussical this Thursday. I am excited to see the students perform. Thank you for such a wonderful place for kids to learn and make lifelong friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, has it already been 6 months? It feels like yesterday we were running through "Oh the thinks you can think!" Can't wail 'till next year!

    "One Feathered" Meg

    ReplyDelete