Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spotlight on Sarah Aloia

Today’s spotlight is on Sarah Aloia.
When Sarah enrolled in a rock and roll camp at the Patel Conservatory in Tampa last year, she had no idea how it would change her. She played a little bass guitar and loved to sing.
She enjoyed the camp experience so much that she continued her music training at the Patel Conservatory with Rock School. Everything seemed to clique.
“I’ve grown the most from Rock School, musically,” said Sarah, 15, of Clearwater. “I’ve met some insanely talented musicians, and [Lee] has helped me grow a lot.”
Sarah (far right) with Patel Conservatory students and
Roger Waters at his concert last month at the Forum.
Led by instructor Lee Ahlin, Rock School pairs musicians together to form bands and helps members not only grow musically, but also build performance skills.
The first time Sarah joined Rock School, she cliqued with her band members so well that they remained together for two more sessions.
“I’ve gotten a lot more range in my voice,” said Sarah. “If I hadn’t joined Rock School, I probably would have stopped singing and never would have started playing bass. If I didn’t get something right away, Lee would help with me it. It’s helped me become a better bass player.”
Now music has become her whole world. “When there’s no Rock School, it feels like I have no life. You make some awesome friends and you learn a lot.”
This past fall, Sarah joined another Rock School band as well, and now she’s looking to form her own band outside of classes.
“When I started, I didn’t know what I was doing at all,” she said “Now, I can play Led Zepplin and I feel like a beast.”
At last month’s Rock School Blowout, her performance included Stay Together for the Kids by blink-182, and Meant to Live by Switchfoot. Last month, she also got to perform, along with other music students, with legendary rocker Roger Waters from Pink Floyd at the St. Pete Times Forum.
Her goal is to become a professional musician, and Rock School has given her the confidence to pursue her dreams.
“It’s the only thing I want to do,” said Sarah, “I just want to be in a band and get signed with a record company, and make people happy with what I have to offer.”
Everyone gets started somewhere. If you love music like Sarah, and want to test drive what it’s like to be in a band, come check out the Rock Encounter this Saturday, Dec. 11 at 1 p.m. Auditions for Rock School will follow, starting at 3:30 p.m.

2 comments: