Thursday, June 30, 2011

NGB guest blog

By Amber Shriver, NGB dancer and Patel Conservatory marketing intern.

June 27, 2011

This summer has been really exciting so far. On Saturday, I rented a car for the first time by myself (since the rental age in Maryland is 20 years) and drove down from Jacksonville to Tampa. It was around a five-hour drive, but the scenery was really beautiful, except when it rained. After I arrived at Tampa, I met all of the other Resident Assistants and checked into my room. I also got to meet my roommate, Taylor who is also an RA and a former apprentice with the Alabama Ballet.  
On Sunday, I went to the airport to meet the students who were flying in for the intensive. There were 20 students flying into Tampa from around the country! I was really excited to meet several people who I knew from former summer intensives and from other studios. I was also excited to meet other students from Butler University, which I attended during my freshman year of college. After picking up students from the airport, I came back to the hotel to meet my residents. I have 10 children who are between the ages of 14-16. 
After meeting everyone, I took them on tours of the Conservatory and the hotel and then we had dinner and hall meetings. Our hall meeting was a lot of fun and made me look forward to the other excursions and activities over the next five weeks which include a trip to the beach, trips to the mall, watching Mamma Mia (which is coming to the Straz Center very soon), watching Pretty Little Liars and a trip to Magic Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment