Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A new role for Marina Alcover

Marina Alcover has gone from a vocal and theater student to theater professional.

Alcover started at the Conservatory as a student. After graduating from Blake High School, she received an associate degree in stage management from Florida School of the Arts.  She returns to the Conservatory as the stage manager for the Patel Conservatory Theater production of The Odyssey.


The 21-year-old discusses her transition and why she is loving the production of The Odyssey

When were you first a student at Patel?
I became a Patel student in 2010, I was in the vocal intensive that summer and the following summer. I was unable to be at the Patel during the school year because I attended Blake High School and I was very involved in the theater department there. 

What was it like to transition from a student to a professional in the same environment?
It has been very exciting! I hadn't been to the Conservatory in two years, when I was away at school, so a lot of things had changed. But I knew Ami [Sallee, director of The Odyssey] and I was super excited for the opportunity to work with her! 

What has been the biggest challenge for you and the students during preparations for The Odyssey?
I think the script has definitely been the most challenging for the cast because it is so large. And the text isn't difficult but it is a different way of speaking that they have had to adjust to. Also most cast members are playing up to six different characters, but they have done an excellent job of keeping track of their characters and knowing where they are and when.

What is it like working with such a diversity of ages in the cast?
The diversity in age, and in their theater experience, is really interesting. There are some adults where this is their very first production, and then there are some students who have been doing theater for a while. Yet, everyone respects one another and they all get along wonderfully. It's awesome to see the cast work together and help one another. 

What is your favorite thing about stage managing?
I love everything about stage managing! I love the rehearsal process and watching the actors develop into their characters as well as seeing the design and overall look of the show transform. But if I had to pick, I'd say my favorite is calling the show. It's really great when you call a cue or a difficult sequence of cues just right, and you know the audience is experiencing the show exactly the way the designers and directors intended.

The Odyssey plays this Thursday through Saturday in the TECO Theater.

Tickets start $15. Student prices start at $3.50 for groups of ten or more. For group information, please email pateltheater@strazcenter.org.

For tickets, call 813-229-7827, click here, or stop by the box office in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment